Canadians were urged to boycott travel to the US in response to tariffs -- and numbers suggest they listened
Source: Insider
Canadians were urged to boycott travel to the US in response to tariffs — and numbers suggest they listened
Thibault Spirlet
Fri, March 14, 2025 at 7:25 AM EDT 4 min read
• Canadians taking road trips to the US dropped by 23% last month, according to Statistics Canada.
• Outgoing PM Justin Trudeau urged Canadians to take domestic vacations instead of visiting the US.
• A business owner told BI he feared Donald Trump's tariffs might cause him to lose Canadian clients.
Canadians are pulling back on travel to the US amid a scrap between the two nations over tariffs first imposed by President Donald Trump.
According to Statistics Canada data released Monday, the number of Canadians driving to the US fell 23% in February compared with the same month last year, marking the second consecutive monthly decline and the second decline observed since March 2021.
Leisure bookings are also taking a hit. Flight Centre Travel Group, a major travel agency in Canada, told Business Insider it saw a 40% decrease in leisure bookings to the US in February year over year.
-snip-
Read more: https://www.yahoo.com/news/canadians-were-urged-boycott-travel-112522470.html