24 schoolgirls abducted from Kebbi in Nigeria have been rescued, president says
SOKOTO, Nigeria (AP) All 24 schoolgirls held by assailants following a mass abduction last week from a school in northwestern Nigeria have been rescued, the countrys president announced Tuesday.
A total of 25 girls were abducted Nov. 17 from the Government Girls Comprehensive Secondary School in Kebbi states Maga town, but one of them was able to escape the same day, the schools principal said. The remaining 24 were all rescued, according to a statement from President Bola Tinubu, though no details were released about the rescue.
I am relieved that all the 24 girls have been accounted for. Now, we must put as a matter of urgency more boots on the ground in the vulnerable areas to avert further incidents of kidnapping, the statement quoted Tinubu as saying.
The attack in Kebbi was among a spate of recent mass abductions in Nigeria, including a raid Friday on the Saint Marys School in north-central Niger state in which more than 300 students and staff from the Catholic school were abducted. Fifty students escaped over the weekend.
https://apnews.com/article/nigeria-abductions-kebbi-schoolgirls-rescued-7189e12fff51f7058aa1af05d77f04ea