Israel/Palestine
Related: About this forum"Israeli soldiers used an 80-year-old Gazan as a human shield. Then they killed him"
This is the title to an article from +972 which is an independent Israeli news site and it is dated 2/16/25. The subtitle is "Soldiers put an explosive cord around the man's neck and forced him to scout buildings for eight hours. After his release, another division shot him dead."
The story came from details given by IDF soldiers as the article describes "A senior officer in the Israeli army’s Nahal Brigade tied an explosive cord around the neck of an 80-year-old Palestinian man and forced him to serve as a human shield, ordering him to scout out abandoned houses under threat of having his head blown off. After he had served his purpose, the soldiers ordered the man to flee with his wife, but upon being spotted by another battalion they were both shot dead on the spot.
Soldiers present at the scene told the Israeli investigative outlet The Hottest Place in Hell that this incident took place in May in the Zeitoun neighborhood of Gaza City. While conducting a sweep of houses in the area, soldiers came across the elderly couple in their home, who told Arabic-speaking soldiers that they were unable to flee to southern Gaza due to their mobility difficulties; their children had already left, and the man needed a cane to walk."
After using him in the supposedly banned practice called the "Mosquito Procedure" for 8 hours they took the man back to his elderly wife and told them to evacuate towards the "humanitarian zone". But they never informed the other IDF units around them that an elderly couple would be crossing through the area. they made it about 100 meters before being shot dead by another IDF unit.
Although the practice of using civilians in this manner is supposedly forbidden it has become common practice according to IDF soldiers being interviewed for an article "In response to a Haaretz investigation last August that exposed the Mosquito Procedure, the IDF Spokesperson stated: “IDF directives and orders prohibit the use of Gazan civilians found in the area for military tasks that deliberately endanger their lives. IDF orders and instructions on this matter have been clarified to the forces.” The use of civilians as human shields was also banned by the Israeli Supreme Court during the Second Intifada, following the army’s use of the strategy in what was known as the “Neighbor Procedure.” However, soldiers testified to The Hottest Place in Hell that especially since October 7, “this procedure has become routine in the military.”
The Israeli government leadership can pretend they don't know but that is not believable. It also makes a mockery of their protests about the indictments from the ICC. The denials are structured to deflect any blame at all to individual soldiers as explained “The Mosquito Procedure is fully institutionalized, and it’s a very gray area within the army,” a Nahal Brigade soldier said, explaining that the army tries to cover it up by shifting blame to junior soldiers. “It’s something that comes down as an explicit order from the battalion commander level and below. But somewhere at the brigade commander level, they completely deny it. When problems start, they push the responsibility downward and say not to do it.”
So what is the upshot for accountability? Basically none as noted "“Even when [the outcome of] investigations are published, there’s no chance the IDF will admit that this is an official order,” a soldier explained. “But if you ask any combat soldier who fought in Gaza, there’s not a single one who will tell you this doesn’t happen. There’s no battalion, at least in the regular army, that can honestly say it hasn’t used this practice.”
https://www.972mag.com/gaza-human-shield-mosquito/

Mosby
(18,321 posts)+972 is one the the dozens of propaganda websites who make their living off the conflict. It's big business, and will probably keep going forever.
lapucelle
(19,957 posts)at a website called The Hottest Place in Hell.
I think +972 decided to publish the horribly misleading headline (the old man was killed later by a different division as he was evacuating south) and nine month old story because the bodies of the Bibas children and their mother are being released on Thursday.
Even Haaretz is skeptical.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/2025-02-16/ty-article/idf-reportedly-used-elderly-gazan-as-human-shield-tied-explosive-around-his-neck/00000195-0e56-d1b4-a7fd-cf7742bf0000

lapucelle
(19,957 posts)would be a better headline for the *larger story* that +972 transcribed from the conspiracy website. Talk about accidentally saying the quiet part out loud.
The young and fit fled to safety, abandoning their elderly infirm parents in a battle zone, leaving them behind because the father needed a cane to walk.
SMH.
C0RI0LANUS
(3,015 posts)moniss
(6,887 posts)although some may question +972 as a source the site was founded and is run by Israeli journalists. Their article I referenced sourced their info partly from Haaretz and the news group "The Hottest Place in Hell" which is also an Israeli group which has won awards for journalism.
C0RI0LANUS
(3,015 posts)Israeli
(4,347 posts)Local Call ( Sikha Mekomit )
See : https://justvision.org/localcall
Local Call (or Sikha Mekomit) is a Hebrew-language news site committed to democracy, peace, equality, social justice, transparency, freedom of information and resisting the occupation. The site was co-founded and is co-published by Just Vision and 972 Advancement of Citizen Journalism (which also publishes +972 Magazine).
Several Local Call and +972 Magazine writers publish on both platforms.
Link : https://www.972mag.com/topic/local-call/
"The Hottest Place in Hell" ( HaMakom )
Link : https://www.ha-makom.co.il/
Is also an anti occupation web site , both are Left wing post zionist politically .
lapucelle
(19,957 posts)Weird how it's getting so much play on the internet in the past few days (9 months later) as if it happened during the current ceasefire, especially when the bodies of the Bibas children are due to be released on Thursday.
=======================
Also weird that the agiprop headline reads
when the man was killed by a different division after his release when he evacuating south.
February 16, 2025
The incident took place in Gaza City, in the neighborhood of Zaytoun, in May.
The IDF said in response that it has yet to hear of the incident. "If more details surface, then another inspection will be undertaken," they said.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/2025-02-16/ty-article/idf-reportedly-used-elderly-gazan-as-human-shield-tied-explosive-around-his-neck/00000195-0e56-d1b4-a7fd-cf7742bf0000

moniss
(6,887 posts)notify others that he and his wife would be coming. So yes "they" killed him by being irresponsible about his safety and also because they knew the rules for firing meant anybody moving in an area after an evacuation deadline was to be considered to be Hamas.
Also the article seems to be part of a larger storytelling and longer investigation by media of soldiers now coming forward and admitting to some of the things that have gone on. All of that investigation seems to have begun well before the ceasefire and therefore it would be unreasonable to think it is somehow tied or timed to it since nobody could have known in early 2024 that the ceasefire would happen many months later and it is not reasonable to think the journalists and soldiers could have known months in advance the schedule of released hostages and deceased hostages.
lapucelle
(19,957 posts)The family left their old, infirm parents behind as they fled to safety and failed to tell anyone. It's right there in your link.
It's part of the *larger storytelling*.